Most people will agree that moving is not a fun experience. And moving a long distance, like across the country, is even worse. But there are things you can do to reduce your stress as you relocate to a new area. One of these things is to utilize portable storage containers to haul all your belongings to your new home, instead of hiring professional movers. Portable storage containers are safe, convenient, and much more affordable. Keep reading to learn more about using a portable container when moving long distance:
How It Works
In a nutshell, the process goes like this:
1. Call a company that provides portable storage container services and make arrangements for them to drop off the size or number of containers you'll need to handle your move. The representative will help you determine the size and/or number of containers you need based on the size of your current home and how much stuff you want to take with you to your new residence.
2. On the scheduled date and time, the company will drop off your container(s). You should have discussed where you'd like the container to be placed in your yard, and the company will follow your instructions. But it's always a good idea to be at your home when the container is delivered so that it is put in the desired location.
3. The company will leave the moving container in your possession so you can pack up your house and put the boxes and any other large items into the container.
4. When the container is full, or at the agreed upon date and time, the container movers will come back and pick it up. Your container will then be taken to storage until you're ready to have your items delivered to your new home. If you don't need storage, the movers will transport your container directly to your new house.
5. You unpack the portable storage container and set up your new home. The moving company will then come back to retrieve the container from your property.
Things To Look For When Renting A Portable Storage Containers
It's important that you don't play eeny, meeny, miny, moe to pick a portable storage container company, because you could end up with poor service, broken items, and a higher-than-average bill. Instead, take the time to do your due diligence to find a company with a fantastic reputation and affordable price. Here are some other things to look for:
Is the storage container in good condition?
Is the container clean?
How fast can the company deliver your pod?
Are there any discounts for long-term storage, if you need it?
Are packing materials included?
Is the container free of holes that would allow moisture to collect on your belongings during the move?
Cost Of Renting Storage Containers
The cost of renting a portable storage container varies greatly by several factors, including the number of containers you need, the length of storage time, the distance the container has to be shipped, if you want professionals to load and/or unload your items, and insurance. You can expect the cost of renting a storage container to be around $2,000 for a one bedroom apartment. If you have a 4 bedroom house, then your cost could be double that. But even if you spent upwards of $4,000 to rent a portable storage container with moving services, it's still cheaper than most other long-distance moving methods.
As you can see, using portable storage containers to move your belongings from one side of the country to another is a great choice. You have the convenience being able to pack and load it at your own pace, but then the professionals will take care of it from there and deliver your furnishings and other items safely to your new home. You can even purchase the services of helpers to do the packing for you, just like traditional professional truck movers. If you have any questions, contact local portable storage container company like Turner Leasing Co Inc for more information.